Pack 1 amarok & 2 1694
Handmade wine-making process.
Albariño 100% and Mencía 100%
Shipping cost: Galicia 6€ , Spain 8€. For other destinations consult us.
/// 1694 is the date that appears on one of the stones on the facade of the Rectoral House where our winery is located, Adega Ferreiros. Under the house there is still the old winery so this date indicates that for more than 300 years wine has been made in this place
- Location of the vineyards: The “La Diestral” vineyard is located in the Consello de Coles, town of Ferreiros, in the province of Ourense in Galicia, Spain. It is located on a hillside at 250 meters. Sunny and 1.8 hectares of which 0.8 are from Albariño. The river Miño is about 2 kilometers away.
- Viticulture: Trellised vineyard, with 13 year old vines. Organic soil. Use of natural compost. Worked on biodynamics
- Elaboration: 2020 is the first vintage. The characteristics of the soil (granite) and the climatological ones (rainy spring, as well as the beginning of summer) have resulted in a very low yield. 1,400 kg were collected. Manual harvest. Selection of grapes in the vineyard and in the winery. Destemmed grape. Maceration of skins, 3 days in stainless tanks with cold temperature control. Low extractive pressing, slow fermentation under controlled temperature. Aged in 500 L barrels, American and French, of 2-3 wines, for 6 months, with their own fine lees. Not subjected to filtering or clarification, so we have a totally natural wine.
- Grades: 13
- Variety: Albariño 100%. Mineral and complex. We seek an expression of the vineyard through our 1694 wines.
- Harvest date: September 1, 2020
/// Amarok. It is the name of our Mencía grape variety, and we have been inspired by one of the sculptures that preside over the roof of the Church of Santo Eustebio de Peroxa, in Ferreiros. In Inuit mythology (Canada, Alaska) the Amarok represents the spirit of a gigantic wolf. In our church it represents evil and is located under another sculpture that represents a lamb, as a symbol of good
- Location of the vineyards: All the grapes come from vineyards located in the Concello de Coles, in the province of Ourense in Galicia, Spain, facing South and West. Some of the vines have granitic soil and others slate, in both cases the depth being 50 to 100 centimeters. The altitude is between 200 and 250 meters.
- Viticulture: Trellis vineyard, with 40 year old vines. Use of natural compost. Worked in ecological. Wine’s village, from various plots.
- Elaboration: 2020 is the first vintage. The characteristics of the soil (granite and slate) and the climatological characteristics (rainy spring, even at the beginning of summer) have resulted in a very low yield. Manual harvest. Selection of grapes in the vineyard and in the winery. Destemmed grapes. Native yeasts. Fermentation for 15 to 20 days in stainless steel tanks of 5,000 litters with cold temperature control. Aging in 400 and 500 L French oak barrels for 4 months. Neither filtered nor clarified, so we have a totally natural wine.
- Degrees: 13 % vol alc
- Variety: Mencía 100%
- IGP Val do Miño. This Protected Geographical Identification regulates the production of grapes from different places in the Miño Valley. Specifically, we are in Ferreiros-Coles, in a unique enclave a short distance from the banks of the Miño river and being adjacent to the Ribeira Sacra
- Harvest date: 1st - 15 th September 2020
- Bottles: 6400.